Friday, November 02, 2012

Reading and Surviving Sandy

We managed to survive Hurricane Sandy without much damage, but going through it was a nightmare. The extreme high winds and steady rain was scary. We lost power for three days (and I don't need to tell you how awful that was), so I couldn't wash clothes, clean house, or use my computer. Cooking (which I very much dislike) was not a problem. We have a gas stove, so at least we could eat. We stayed warm thanks to our wood stove. We were lucky. It could have been much worse.

But... what do you do for three days without power? I'll tell you what I did. I read. Reading was something I could do to take my mind off the storm, even if it was only for a little while. I read and read, until my eyes got so tired, I couldn't read anymore, and when I could, I was out of books. That taught me a lesson: keep my Kindle full of books I want to read. So... I loaded up my Kindle in preparation for the next storm—which I hear is coming soon. The weather forecasters say we have a Nor'easter coming in around Wednesday of next week. What? Another storm? Well... I'm prepared. I have lots of free books I just downloaded on my Kindle, and I can't wait to dig in. Don't like the idea of another storm coming through, but at least I'll have something to read. My Kindle is charged and ready to go. 

I started working on my next book, The Prey Bites Back, in February, but lost interest. I don't know why; it's not because I didn't have plenty of  ideas and a plot. I just didn't want to write. And until I get the desire back, I'll just read. While Sandy was pounding us, I read Take the Monkeys and Run, Janet Evanovich's Metro Girl, and Q is for Quarry by Sue Grafton.

I now have lots of books on my Kindle and will be searching for more. You should too, just in case. And to give you one more to add to your selection, the first book in my Jesse Watson Mystery series will be FREE Saturday, Nov. 3. So please download it, read it, and enjoy. And last, but not least, please consider posting a review on Kindle. A reader review can be the best gift you can give an author. Thanks, and stay safe! Ann

Click here for the link to my book on Kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006WOBQOM#_

Ah... is that a snowflake I see out the window? Better get moving. Gotta go stoke the fire and grab my Kindle.

~~~~~~

P.S. My prayers are with the folks who have suffered so much devastation from Hurricane Sandy. My heart goes out to them and their families.

No comments: